I’ve reached a critical crossroads in my thesis work: the point at which this process blog, my final documentation (process book), and work on the Canary project are nearly parallel. I have three weeks left to finish multiple deliverables and time management now trumps any and all decisions. As a result, this will be the second to last entry of my thesis blog. My final entry will be a link to the live stream of our final presentations on May 12th.
For the remaining time, I will be preparing:
- Process Book - The keystone deliverable and documentation of all my work over the last year. I’ve completed nearly 2/3 of it and have to tighten up content as well as references/spelling, nevermind the documentation of the final project - Canary. The process book will also be the basis of my thesis defense presentation on April 25th.
- Canary - I just finished my wireframes for the app (see below for details). I outlined my video and have identified five core user flows and screens to design. There still maybe time to revise my wireflows I created a few days ago, but this will be one of those “nice to haves”. Additionally, I must design and animate the key flows/screens to repurpose for the video, canary website, and final presentation.
- Final Presentation - I outlined a draft version (v.2.0) of my final presentation, and will be presenting this version to my classmates on this Wednesday, April 18th.
Thesis Exhibition - Immediately following our presentations at the SVA Theatre, we have a reception and exhibtion of our thesis work back at our studio. I outlined a sketch for the setup and talked takeaways with my cousin Sara who will be helping me out with design/production.
Over this past week, I’m up to three cups o’ coffee (sometimes four) and wireframing/prototyping the Canary app. With a little help from my classmates, I quickly learned two awesome rapid prototyping tools for the iPhone: TAP and LiveView. Seriously, these are my new favorite applications. Using these new tools, I created some key screens, killed a few, modified others, and got ready for my a review with Mari Sheibley, lead design at Foursquare (thanks to Michael Yap for setting it up). The review went awesome and Mari gave me some super valuable feedback. Soon after, I met with Cooper to discuss our wireframes, stripping out features and complexity. After a solid weekend of work and a visit to the Brooklyn Botanic Garden, I shored my wireframes and prepped for final designs.
Before my review with Mari, I met with Liz to discuss the status and approach of my process book and takeaways for the thesis exhibition. I left the meeting feeling engerized and subsequently pulled an all nighter working on my process book. It felt great to check a few items off the deliverables list as well as work alongside a fellow IxD’ers late night in the studio.